Saturday, October 13, 2012

Brown Roses?

 
Drying dyed brown ribbon.


Last night around 9:00 I had an overwhelming desire to dye some ribbon.  The choices were cocoa brown, cocoa brown, fuchsia or black.  Since I had two browns it won.  I can't even remember what I bought the brown dye for but I suspect it was to dye some muslin.  So I used 2 cups of hot water 1/2 cup salt, a dye package, 2 yards of 1 1/2 inch ribbon and 3 yards of 1 inch ribbon.  Then let the mess sit for 12 hours.  After rinsing the ribbon out it looks like a ribbon that has seen to much sunlight and is a faded brown.  The brown ribbon may not be pretty enough on it's own but it might be nice for a random petal here and there.



 
Finished three row brown ribbon rose.
 
 
Another view of brown ribbon rose.

Last evening I also went through and calculated how much ribbon it took to do a 3 row rose and then 4 row rose.  The 3 row rose takes 8.5 inches of 1 inch ribbon for row 1.  Row 2 takes 12 inches of 1 inch ribbon.  Row 3 takes at most 21 inches of 1 1/2 inch ribbon.  That makes up to 6 petals on row 3.  Row 4 takes between 20 inches and 28 inches of 1 1/2 inch ribbon.  So that last row really is eating up the ribbon.

The 4th row is eating about 2 feet of ribbon alone.  So I may only make 3 rows flowers.  Small but I think they look better.

Today I also went to Beverly's to meet up with friends.  We talked about the Altrusa tree and what the decorations will be like.  A lot of soft pink with a Victorian feel to it.  So I am determined to make several ornaments.  Tonight I am looking for some ideas and even patterns for a swan ornament.  Hopefully I find one and don't have to draw my own!  When I came home I made a brown 3 row rose, with luck tomorrow will be more productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment