Today I went out to Beverly's and showed the paper flower bouquet I had made. I got some really great suggestions on how to make it look better. I also bought some more Rit Dye in wine color this time. The last dyed ribbons looks great but I want some more variations in color. So I also bought a Fabrico marker. The marker seems great but it wasn't the same color inside as the cap color. So I will have to use it for something else.
So when I got home I dissolved the wine colored dye in two cups of very hot water and added a 1/2 cup of salt. Then I put 1/2 pound of polyester ribbon in and made sure it was well covered. After an hour I pulled out the ribbon and rinsed it well. After it was dry I was really surprised by the color it was a darkish dusty rose color. But again polyester doesn't respond well to dyes. Also I am not going to use the ribbon on anything that needs to be washed, it most likely will run.
Then I decided to make all the petals for a rose and I put them in the remaining dye and left it for 5 hours. So far the second try is coming out a lot lighter which gives me more options for the flowers. At this rate I will need to buy some more 1 1/2 inch off white ribbon! It has been really interesting using dye but I am thinking of using the fabric paint again. Well I will see how well the ribbons works tomorrow.