Sunday, July 8, 2012

Food Entries 2012 County Fair

Today and tomorrow I will be working on food entries for the county fair.  This will be the first time using my milk chocolate smoked truffles recipe in public.  So far I'm the only one who has tried the smoked truffles.  As far as I know it is a unique recipe.  Personally I find them wonderfully delicious.  It is also an opportunity to get pictures of dipping truffles for the tutorial on this blog.  I had entered my dark chocolate truffles at the fair several years ago and won a "Best of Show" for them.  I'm very proud of my recipe, if only I could encourage others into making their own candies, I would be very happy.

The other entry I will be making is a simple focaccia bread with parmesan sprinkled on the top.  Lee will be happy because this is one of his favorite meals.  It really is easy to make but takes a lot of time.  Today I will be making the preferment or sponge.  The sponge will be rising in the refrigerator over night to develop flavor.  Then tomorrow it will be mixed with the rest of the ingredients and allowed to rise on the counter for about 3 hours.  It isn't a quick to make bread but it is worth all the trouble.

Poolish or Preferment Recipe from "The Bread Bakers's Apprentice" by Peter Reinhart

11.25 ounces of unbleached bread flour
12 ounces of water
1/4 teaspoon of instant yeast

Measure and stir together the ingredients, cover and let rise for 2 to 4 hours.  It should be all bubbly and risen.  Stir down and cover it and let it sit over night in the refrigerator.  I like to keep mine in the refrigerator for 24 to 48 hours.  This is when the flavor is developing so don't rush the preferment.  This is what the preferment should look like when developed.  Happy and bubbly.  After 3 hours I put the preferment in the refrigerator.  We will see if it comes out tomorrow


No comments:

Post a Comment