Monday, March 11, 2013

Hardanger Hazards

 
Progress on hardanger doily.

When starting a piece of cutwork I get a sinking feeling in my tummy and making those first cuts of threads is stressful.  But the accident I had last night was unique.  While finishing the first diamond of the hardanger doily I accidentally wove my hair into it.  When I let go of the fabric it was hanging from my head.  I immediately thought of all those silly cartoons.  So I cut it out of my hair and rewove the section.  It proves that you should not work on projects while sleepy.  So far the project has 49 dove eyes and nearly 400 woven bars.  The original design had 1/10 of the needle weaving and it is difficult doodling cutwork.  After looking through some cutwork books I decided to try a reticella square in the two other corners of the doily.  I have two wonderful pattern books.  "Renaissance Patterns for Lace, Embroidery and Needlepoint" by Federico Vinciolo and "Pictorial Archive of Lace Designs, 32 Historic Examples" by Carol Belanger Grafton.  So now I just have to pick a pattern.  About a quarter of the second diamond is finished but there is still a lot to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment