Saturday, February 2, 2013

Roses in Silk and Organza Ribbon

To start off the new year I got some books and one of them was Di van Niekerk's "Roses in Silk and Organza Ribbon".  All her books are wonderful but this one really stands out.  She uses the technique of cutting out rose petals from silk taffeta ribbon and then using a fray checking product on them.  I've tried something similar but always found the fray check to be hard when it dried.  So I found a product by Aleene's called "Stop Fraying".  So far it seems very flexible.  I took some silk taffeta fabric and treated the piece with the "Stop Fraying".  It turned the fabric translucent but flexible.  It has only dried a short time so by the morning it may have changed.  I also tried cutting petals out of the same silk taffeta and used a DecoArt product called "SoSoft" on them.  The petals were coated on both sides and allowed to dry.  The dye seems to have stopped the petals from fraying.  The product says to wait 48 hours before washing so it will be a couple days before I will know how it works.  With some luck Monday I will be able to make the Roses in chapter 11 on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment