Thursday, September 9, 2010

Adventures in Weaving on a rigid heddle loom

Blogging doesn't really seem to be my thing.  How do you know what others will find interesting enough to read.  Finally I seem to have found something to blog about that is rather a unique hobby.  Two weeks ago I purchased a rigid heddle loom.  There doesn't seem to be a lot on the internet about this type of loom.  So I want and hope to share my adventures in weaving.

I purchased an Ashford rigid heddle loom from The Village Spinning and Weaving shop in Solvang CA, http://www.villagespinweave.com/  Our craft group has been going there for several years and they have always been so kind and helpful to us.  So after a little research on looms I called them up and they had everything I wanted in stock and even put the loom together for me.  The reason I finally decided on the Ashford was the company's reputation and that the loom came in a 32 inch wide weaving area.  So off we went to Solvang to buy a loom and eat pastry!  I can't express the excitement of finally owning a loom, it had been 40 years since I first used a loom.  Since then it has been a nagging desire to get my own loom to use whenever I wanted, it was an incredible high!  I was like a kid getting their first bike.  I also purchased an amazing book, The Weaver's Idea Book, creative cloth on a rigid heddle loom.  It isn't a beginners book.  It shows how using different combinations of color in the warp and weft produce patterns.  The book also shows how to use a double heddle and how to warp it!  So armed with very little beginner information, I've jumped in with both feet.  It is going to be an amazing adventure and I hope I will be able to help other beginning weavers.

No comments:

Post a Comment