Thursday, November 30, 2023

Apples

 Despite the weather this year we have a bumper crop of apples!  For the last month I've been cooking apples. At first the apples were early drops and hard, dry and green.  Still they made good apple pies and apple crisps for days.  The leftover apples finally got yellow and ripe. Last week I made a big pot of apple sauce. Most of which went into the freezer. But I saved 2 cups of sauce to make apple cake.  My first batch came out well if a little dry.  The recipe called for cake flour and made the small bundts really soft.  Tomorrow I am going to try a different recipe for apple cake.  If they come out well I may send them to a club Christmas party as dessert!

The real problem is that a few days ago I went and picked up some more apples. We were expecting rain and didn't want to lose the apples.  So I crawled under the apple tree and pulled out the fallen apples.  Most were in great shape and we got two 5 gallon buckets and a large box full of green apples!  The tree still has lots of apples so I see a lot more cakes and pies in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment